Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Ready or not!


How do you ever decide if a piece of art is finished? Maybe you can't. Maybe no one can but at some point you move on. You either have no further ideas to express with it, no more things to possibly add (less is more) or you are just plain tired of looking at it. I like to place a piece I'm considering finished in another place other than my studio and go by several times a day and look at it with different light and eyes. This also keeps me from fiddling, picking up the brush or another element for collaging. This usually helps me more than anything. I also have a dear number of friends (artists, teacher, realist) who can look at it objectively and give me feedback, critique and still make me feel like I have accomplished something nice.
Here is my latest piece I am considering finished. Feel free to comment!

The Pocket Book Reader for Virginia Woolf.

"I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."
Vincent van Gogh