Tuesday, November 21, 2017

reflections of MOM


Mom was broken and only a few people knew. Most outsiders saw her as privileged and having it all. She had a loving husband, a good daughter, a nice home and a good paying but hard job. She spent too much time working when she was sick. She took time off for her parents. She worried. She slept. She could always sleep, thank goodness. I never sleep if I’m worried or sick.

 

Mom also let other people get to her. Whether they spoke purposely or unknowingly, mom always thought certain people flouted her, insulted her, played her or picked at her and she was totally undone by it. Thus, she (and dad and I) missed good times with family and friends. Mom missed much good and happiness by letting these things bother her. As a young person, I often asked why she let it get to her. Ignore it. Let it go. Forget it.  Shoot it back at them. All these things I told her and she tried none of it.

 

Mom died recently. I know now mom is no longer upset, frustrated or worried. That gives me great comfort. It also gives me great advice. Waste no time, energy or sleep over things that don’t mean a hill of beans, yep, one of those great old southern clichés.  I must admit. I have but not in the same way she wasted so much of her life. Things that don’t matter once we are dead also don’t mean anything when we are alive.

 

Long story short, life is short. Spend it well. Love. Laugh. Give. Be grateful.

No comments: