Sunday, October 23, 2011

Each year for a long time

I have read and reread Gift from the Sea by Anne Morrow Lindbergh. Many find it old fashion and outdated but I find it to be inspiring and true. Basically it teaches what a wife, mother and woman needs to know about life as each role separately and collectively. It uses ideas centered around the sea to illustrate its message. The last several years I have not only read the book but also made little illustrated journals of my own writing and reflections on the topics. This year I took an old copy of the book (yes, I have several versions, printings, and even a guided journal of it) and watercolored directly on the pages and then wrote over the pages my own thoughts and ideas. It is my favorite so far and possible my very favorite altered book I have made. I did include a few packing tape transfer images here and there as well but I wanted a book that would still lie flat or fit in a book case. Often I have not minded having an alterd book overflowing with things but since "simplicity" is one of the thems of Gift from the Sea, I felt I should keep it simple. So I will be sharing the pages and reflections as well as other imagery from my week at Kiawah Island, SC as I journeyed once again through Gift form the Sea.....


No comments: