Sunday, January 01, 2012

2012 Word Focus

My word focus* for 2012 is PRESENT.



Not a gift but now, today, in the moment….


I have wasted much of my life worrying over what has happened and may happen, dreading the negative past and experiences that may reoccur. Fearing what if “X” happens is a constant issue. I have obsessed over bad things forever and the worst things I have experienced have been fairly mild compared to what could have happened. Recently while going through a difficult time I couldn’t move away from, I kept telling myself that all I must do is deal with the present moment and all the others would take care of themselves.


As a successful worrier I hope this word focus will help me learn a new method of dealing with life’s turmoil. As usual I have researched this word and found a few great thoughts and quotes on the subject which I will share now and as we go into and through the new year.


• Life unfolds in the present.


• Mindfulness is a way to focus on the present.


• Living in the present takes practice.


• Being in the moment forces us to no overthink (worry, obsess…)


• Relish the now of your life and worries dissolve.


• Breathe.


• Self-control is enhanced when you stay in the present.


• Accept what is happening in the moment, don’t add your own spin on what it may become or why it happened at all.


• Much is out of your control anyway.


• Your thoughts don’t have to materialize.


• Dwelling on the past or future is futile and useless.


• Present living makes things clear, calm and positive.






Quotes:






“I have known a great many troubles but most of them never happened.” Mark Twain


“Don’t let yesterday use up too much of today.” Cherokee Proverb


“Rejoice in the things that are present; all else if beyond thee.” Montaigne


“Yesterday is history; tomorrow is mystery; and today is a gift. That’s why it is called the present.” Babatunde


“if you worry about what might be, and wonder what might have been, you will ignore what is.” Unknown


“we crucify ourselves between two thieves: regret for yesterday, and fear of tomorrow.” Fulton Oursler


“When I am anxious it is because I am living in the future. When I am depressed it is because I am living in the past.” Unknown

* word focus is used by many in place of resolutions. it doesn't necessarily mean you conquer the task any easier than a resolution but it makes you examine a part of your life maybe ignored or neglected before the focus.



No comments: