Wednesday, May 27, 2015

a woman's plight


What I wrote recently is so true. If I could work 8 hours a day with no interruptions I could make more head way. And if I had a studio away from home I could do this. And if I had money I could do this. And if I were really willing to put me and my art first I COULD DO THIS.  But I’m a mom. I’m a wife. I’m a daughter with a mom with Alzheimer.

 

 Thus goes every woman’s dilemma. Job or husband. Job or child. Job or family. Choices. Decisions. Roles. Tradition. Life. I am trying to use my skills and talent for God. I’m trying to do all I can with my art for me without stepping on anyone else. It’s hard to not be totally selfish when you have this drive to create and be imaginative. I used it as a wife and mother but now I just want to create for the sake of creating and finding new ways to do things that have been done for years.  How can I make the figure of a woman in today’s society be interesting and intriguing? How can I do it without copying someone else? How can I find a “fresh” look? It takes lots of practice, dedication, experimentation and time. That word is often the woman’s number one adversary or ally. TIME. She either has lots of it or little at all for her own needs, pursuits and interests. So how can she possibly improve on talent? How can she grow as an artist? How can she become ALL she wants to become? It is the 21st century. It is possible for a woman to do it all. But no one has more than 24 hours per day. No one has total control over those 24 hours and no one is able to be selfish with those hours without having others question her choices and decisions. The plight of woman has always been this way. Is this really 2015? Are we still living down the street from the Cleavers? I’m just not sure. I wish someone could explain it to me. To the world. If a woman has a career, she is supposed to be doing it for the good of the family or stay single and do what she wishes. But even with that she eventually faces other obligations. Family needs. Aging parents or aunts or siblings. Sadly, many times women do all these obligatory things and by the time she has her life to herself, alone, she is either too old, too sick or worn out with nothing left for her own interests.

 

 
Relic

No comments: