Saturday, September 13, 2008

Memories


I was reading about an artist today and it brought a special memory to mind of my maternal grandmother, Fannie Allred. My family thinks I got my art bent from her. She was always doing little drawings with color pencils or crayons (and sadly we don't have any of them-actually I have one tucked away somewhere and it may surface one day but that's a whole nuther story). She also kept one drawer in her kitchen that I was allowed to play in. It was the "junk" drawer. We all have them (some of us more than others) but it was a great place to find little trinkets that were lost souls just waiting for an artistic little hand to grasp and imagine the possibilities of. Most things couldn't even be named as they were unrecognizable to most and especially a small kid. I could spend hours in that little world of make believe and sometimes wish I was still there. Somedays in my art room are like that. I find so much I want to do, create, dream, explore and play that the hours just aren't enough. Maybe you should remember a really great time in your childhood and explore its possibilities for today. It could just be a clue as to who you are now or who you'd like to be when you grow up with the rest of us little kids.


This image of my Grandma is one of my favorites. I call it DREAMER. It was digitally colored by the way.


No comments: