Saturday, November 24, 2012

my inner landscape

My mental landscape is tired.

It wishes to pull down the shades and pull up the covers, disappearing from life.

My mind’s foreground is filled with overgrowth and debris, mostly fear and worries.

My mind’s middle ground is covered in excess and needs pruning, mostly of doubt and despair.

My mind’s background is untidy and missing, full of angry thoughts and uncertainty.

My psychological landscape is in need of a makeover.

I want to simply trim its branches of hate and discontent.

I need to thin out the weeds of unhappiness and morose thoughts.

I need to replant flowers of peace and assurance.

I need to see that love and trust and faith can thrive once again in this messy environment.

It is through dry deserts that God refreshes our thirst for life.

It is in the deep valleys we find our soul’s rest before climbing the next peak.

It is being lost in wilderness that causes us to reflect on a better pathway.

It is the loud crescendos of our life’s landscape that cause us to appreciate and find answers in the quiet interludes of our journey.

It is the dark dry places that lead us toward the light of refreshment.



I long for quiet passages.

I need uneventful stretches.

I crave dull routine.

I desire unexciting days and ordinary nights.








No comments: