Saturday, November 24, 2007

A Good Artist is Easy to Find


As I was visiting a local art gallery and holiday sale yesterday, I took time to once again look at the work of a favorite local artist's exhibit. She died a couple years ago and her work has been on display since then. I own a few small pieces but was considering a larger purchase.

The thought came to mind that we have so many fine artists come and go. They are talented and and prolific but once they are deceased, their work is either in high demand or forgotten. I'm afraid that is what is happening with this fine artist's work. My work is not nearly as fine but will soon be forgotten and discarded once I am gone. I wonder how much great art has ended up in thrift shops, basements, attics and worse yet the local land fill. Which also makes me ask many questions. Are we too prolific as artists? Are we wasting money, time and supplies? Can we limit creativity? Should we? What is the answer? I'd love to hear your thoughts on these questions and ideas.


Image is one of my vessel images done in relief on a canvas board.

No comments: