Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Skeptic? Me?


Here's a question to ponder. How can you tell when an email is real or a hoax? I admit I now have my artwork on several sites and get some occasional nice comments but when you receive an email out of the blue inquiring about purchasing art and then giving you a huge price range, well you see my dilemma. I did send a nice reply with a few questions of my own. Where did you find me? Where are you located? AND I even told her it sure seemed like a hoax of some kind. It would be great to make a huge sale but is it real? What would you as an artist do in this case?


Image is a digitally altered, prismacolor enhanced photo of me. Only wish I looked so good!

3 comments:

tala1947 said...

I think we have heard of so many scams that we are skeptical of unsolicited email. We have also heard all our lives about things that seem too good to be true.

Let us hear the"rest of the story".

Faye said...

Chris, be wise as a serpent and as innocent as a dove. Have I misquoted this? It doesn't sound right. Anyway, it does sound too good to be true and when things sound that way, they usually aren't for real. You are wise to ask questions. If the offer is real, she will answer back and you can check it all out. There are just so many scams out there. We have to be on our toes always.

Linda Jo said...

Chris, Did they want you to make something special for them? Or were they wanting to see things you've already finished? I would simply require payment upfront. If it's a commission piece...then a deposit would be in order.