Sunday, June 01, 2008

You only get this day once!


While walking last evening I began to think again about a great response my son, Matthew, had to a text message prompt I sent a day earlier. To set the stage I must first explain that when he was in middle school, a time when kids don't like themselves or anyone else, I began to write a Bible verse on a post it note and leave it with his backpack each morning. Just a little something to give him strength for the day and a focus other than adolescence angst. He carried it in his pocket throughout the day. This continued through high school and then when he went away to college, I would email it to him each morning along with a favorite quote. There were various themes and I related the two when possible, another way to focus on something positive for the day. Now he's been on his own for over a year working 300 miles from home and I continue this tradition. He really enjoys and is inspired by it. Being a journalist, he loves words and writing and occasionally I send an interesting thought or journal prompt to again give him new perspective and focus. Now back to my beginning, he certainly can write rings around me and thinks much more clearly and quickly. Sometimes the focus is thought provoking and sometimes a laugh but the other day when I could think of nothing funny to send I simply texted "finish...today is..." He very quickly sent back this response, "the only May 30, 2008 we get." I sent back "excellent". It was the perfect response to my prompt. I was wowed! What a great way to think and we all should think this thought every single day. Each is special and precious and we do not know what it will mean to us in years to come, maybe even the next day! So remember you only get ONE today...make the MOST of it!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What a great post! I am struggling with my pre-teen daughter today and am NOT the encouraging Mom I should be (and it makes me sad). Thanks for setting an example. I needed to read this today (God is Good!)

Christy said...

Oh wow. What an amazing thing to send back to you. Not to mention of course the entire story. What a great mom you are! I always made small happy drawings on my daughters lunch bag. And when she wanted one of those lunch boxes that I could write on I would draw something on a post it note. Just something to brighten her day. Thanks for sharing this, it's such a wonderful thing!