Saturday, July 05, 2008

results to questions about art



What makes you purchase a piece of art? -
It has to inspire me beyond the norm, to make me want to look at it again and again
When is speaks to me...well, when it SPEAKS to me...kind of like a toddler trying to get your attention- they will NOT be ignored. Seriously, when a piece grabs me and won't let go...usually when the message touches me deeply.
A piece of art has to touch something deep within, and I have to sort of feel like I cannot live without it. I try never to make impulse purchases, even of art, so I usually have to see if the piece still calls to me, and if I still want it, after a week. Also, I have to feel like it is worth the price I'm going to pay for it, and that is wholly subjective. How much I am willing to pay is totally based on how badly I want the piece.
It speaks to me in some way and it symbolizes who I am as a person (and it matches my home and I have somewhere I can put it)
I buy art I can't make myself...or if I can, I like the artist.
I think the same thing that attracts me to make art. Colour, textures, shapes which draw me towards it.
It speaks to my deepest emotions, and won't shut up! Oh, and I can afford it
I only buy art that "speaks" to me. It may be an emotional or a spiritual tug, or a response to the theme or just the colours, but there has to be some sort of spark of recognition that goes on between me and the artist.

Does art have a place in everyone's life? -
Yes, even photographs are art, and most everyone has a photograph in their home or place of business
Oh, I certainly hope so! Art has been such a soothing part of my life...especially since committing myself to our Lord. I'm still doing more art in my head, but I really do feel everyone's life would be improved with the addition of art.
I think that it should and that it does, even though people don't always recognize it as such (that is as "art"). Pictures on the wall, flowers planted in the garden, particular styles of shoes and clothes are all forms of art.
I believe art has a place in everyone's life. In fact, I think everyone is surrounded by art -- not always art created by a human artist! I believe that it enriches the life of every person to look at, wake up to the value of, and learn to appreciate, art of all kinds.
Yes of course art has a place in every life...even if it is just appreciated and not owned. And nature's art is the best!
Probably in some people's lives it may be unnoticed until something wakes them up! For me it was a progression from a creative embroidery course and then a desire to take art further.... I am sure that everyone has something which could awaken them to art.
If we use recycled materials as much as possible and always ask ourselves "can I use this" before throwing something away! It is hard for those who need to make a living with their art ....but we all need something beautiful in our homes somewhere even if it is just one piece!
It should, but it doesn't.
I truly believe art has a very necessary place in everyone's life. When I couldn't buy art for financial reasons, I did buy a book of full colour reproductions of famous paintings and pinned the ones I liked on the walls so my children could grow up with art. Visiting art museums and galleries is all very well, but there is no substitute for living with art.


Can art survive in these economic times? -

Yes, but it has to be tailored to the times as well in some fashion; for example, in devotionals that deal with hardship and surpassing that hardship
I would say yes...the 'experts' say that comfort items do well during stressed economic periods...and that people usually can find money to buy things that make them feel good.
Yes, art can survive in difficult economic times. In fact, it MUST survive in time like these. I think the harder the times, the more necessary it is to have beauty that helps lift you out of yourself. I try to live by this: If I only have $1, I will spend 50 cents on bread and 50 cents on flowers.
We all need dishes and furniture, for instance (and we generally pick out a design we like when purchasing--both are a practical form of art)
Art can certainly survive hard economic times, though making a living at art may be very difficult!
Yes, but it will be tougher, at least for those who try to make a living through their artwork. The emphasis will need to be on using what we've got on hand rather than adding all the new tools and materials to the stash. For buyers, there will need to be an even deeper emotional connection and a reasonable pricetag.
Art will always survive. The question should be, "Can artists survive in these economic times?" We all know that creating art is far from being the best way to achieve financial security. Very few people will be able to make a living from their art in these or any other times. Faced with economic worries, people will be less likely to spend their money on art, and artists will have problems being able to afford the better type of supplies. There will be no poverty of ideas and no lack of creative urges, however.

Image is from black and white art journal.

No comments: