Friday, April 18, 2008

A Day of One's Own


Virginia Woolf wrote of the importance of A ROOM OF ONE'S OWN. Women need a place, day, moment to themselves. Life puts many pressures on women and we allow most of it. For years I felt like I was on a Merry-Go-Round with no hope of stopping, let alone slowing down to get off. I finally learned when to say "no" or "enough." This month, however, has been back on the Merry-Go-Round. Today had to be "Enough"! After a restless night or little sleep and aches and pains, I just had to stay home alone. I had to decide for me what I needed. Even though it interrumpted a day at my beloved Fernwood. I often have to say "no" to others because only I know when I'm ready for company and when I need to be by myself. This month has demanded too much from others and if they don't understand, I hope it's because they never feel the rush of a Merry-Go-Round lifestyle circling at light speed with no hope of getting off.


Here's a little journal page that shows what we become when we don't say "no". "Enough"!

The text is:

a morning of chores, art, meals, and....

WOMEN

we are pieces put together with glue

one wrong breath

we can fly to pieces


Depart from evil and do good; seek peace and pursue it.

Psalm 34:14

1 comment:

Kel said...

this collage really spoke to me
thanx for sharing