Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Never neglect drawing


I started drawing and coloring as a child. A new box of crayons and color book was my favorite gift. I continued to use markers and paint but also continued to stay in the lines. I took a few classes. Got into watercolor....then pastels, collage, altered art and now full blown mixed media. I keep throwing it on the page until it pleases me. I do still pick up my sketch book and a dark penci,l like a 4B or softer, wider the better and I love those Ebony pencils; and start drawing. Many times the inspiration will come from an unusual source....a movie I'm watching, a magazine I'm reading or a scene out of the car window. Most recently I was watching Sweeney Todd, a rather dark, forboding musical of all things and was engrossed by the dark sunken eyes of Sweeney and Mrs. Lovett (played by Johnny Depp and Helenal Bonham Carter. I began sketching these dark sunken eyes and have not had my fill yet.....so expect to see more.

Hey! Pick up a pencil and pad of paper at the dollar store and just sketch!

1 comment:

morningDove said...

thanks for the encouragement to draw. think I will do just that.