Tuesday, December 05, 2017

Determined



Each year for about a dozen years, I have chosen a focus word rather than resolutions. I choose something I need to work on, something I’m weak in, or something I am led to which can help me grow. I have chosen faith, prayer, thankful, resilient, hope, joy, and clarify, to name a few. Strangely, near year’s end, I start seeing a particular word here and there and everywhere. It never fails. I am led to the word.
 

For 2017 I chose determined.  As I study and research and practice these words, I seek quotes about it that teach me something. I look for Bible verses and devotions that fit the word and also enlighten me. I have never felt extremely strong to deal with challenges and problems but the past several years have proved me wrong. This year has maybe been my hardest. It always seems to be the current situation that is worse but dealing with mom and her final stage of Alzheimers was very difficult.  The year is nearly over. Mom is gone. I began with the “determination” to make it through. With a few weeks left, I have learned I can be a determined woman who is stronger than she realized. I can deal with situations I once thought would break me. Actually thought they could finish me.
 
Since a child I have had a nervous stomach. Since the eighties, I have dealt with IBS (irritable bowel syndrome), the D kind. Diarrhea to be honest. In the beginning I lost lots of weight from not eating much. Someone asked me if I did Weight Watchers. I told them I had IBS. They understood. I take medication for the IBS, as well as some nerve and depression meds to keep my system calm. I often know how to head off situations by controlling what I eat and when. The weight came back unfortunately, mostly due to menopause, thyroid and age. Well, maybe this is TMI but I felt the urge to share more of my truth here. My truth can help others deal with their own truth.
 

Back to my word, determination, I have been extra determined as of late to be strong, spiritually, physically and mentally. Getting through the long hard years, taking care of mom and dad, has proven it. There were days I really thought I would not make it. With determination and God’s grace and mercy, I did. There will be more challenges. Life is full of them. God will see me through.

No comments: