Friday, December 22, 2017

more memories of Mom and Dad


64 years ago today Lee and Vember Quinn united in marriage to love and support each other. Dad was finishing up in the army and had to go back for a few weeks and Mom lived at his parent’s house. That had to be tough. They lived in the same neighborhood and grew up near each other even though Dad was four years younger than Mom. The story is that he ran up on the playground and hugged and/or kissed her embarrassing her but they did end up together.
 
Mom knew Dad’s cousin Dot Radford and when Dad went into the army, she asked Mom if he could write to her. Since this was in the fifties, Mom asked her Mom if that sounded okay. Of course she said yes. When Dad was in on leave they dated and the rest is history.
 
They married in Gaffney SC which was so popular and easy back then. Little preparation except choosing the clothes. Mom was working in the textile mill and probably spent a paycheck to buy her blue suit trimmed in black with matching shoes and bag. (Maybe that’s why she always liked matching shoes and bags. She had so many. Even a pair of clear ones like Cinderella, but that’s another story.) I think Dad wore a Sunday suit. Maybe gray. Can’t tell from the black and white pictures.
 
When Dad got out of the army, they took a day trip (maybe, I’m not sure) to the mountains. Soon they moved into a small house in Sandy Mush. They lived in another house there and started their family. ME! They moved into a nice little house owned by the Waters. I remember that house. It had a pantry. I had a swing set in the back but was afraid to go out there alone. The tops on the chimney turned and squeaked.
 
When I was five they moved to a new house in Caroleen on Westmore Drive. It was a nice home but not extravagant.

I lived there until I was twenty four. They gave me a wonderful life. I had no siblings since I was born by Caesarean. Then multiple births were not recommended after Caesareans. (another story there later) They took good care of me and gave me everything I needed but not everything I wanted. Many thought I was spoiled. I was but with love.
 
Mom and Dad and my family celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary and had a lovely meal, cake, vows, candles and a photo for the paper. As they matured, celebrations became simpler and always keeping their needs intact.
 

Dad had a stroke in 2009 and things changed drastically but love and patience and mostly God we got through it all. He died at 80 years old in 2013. He was missed greatly. Mom was increasing in dementia woes and only missed him for about a year before she seemed to forget him. She lived with me and then in assisted care. We lost her this year (October 20). This is our first Christmas with them both gone. It will be different but they are together now. How lovely to think about.
 
so happy and so unaware of how soon their life will change
Why does age come and steal our hopes and dreams? Why does health fail? Why can’t good people live forever? Would they want to, especially in this day and time? By the way these red cups held soft drinks or tea. It was a church group gathering.
 

No comments: